Wedding Wardrobe: Sumedha

30 Apr

Wedding Wardrobe Sumedha red lehenga from ram kishan sarees chandni chowk

Once in a while, a bride chooses to share her wedding journey with the world. She pens down her experiences, carefully selects precious personal memories to show you – through vivid photographs that captured what was, perhaps, the best day of her life.

Sumedha is one of those brides.

I found her wedding blog, The Postcard Bride, where she gives us a glimpse into her December 2013 wedding. Exactly 2 months ago, she posted photographs of her wedding day.

And I was left enamoured.

One look at her wedding lehenga and you’ll know exactly what I’m talking about. Bright, bright red, ending with a splash of colours. And heavy embroidery. Very bridal, indeed.

wedding lehenga artistic shot details 1 Sumedha wedding wardrobe

Sumedha got engaged in December 2012, and by the time the summer of 2013 rolled in, wedding preparations were in full swing. Her mother-in-law had informed her that it was a family tradition for the groom’s side to buy the bride’s sagan outfit, so she flew from Mumbai (her home) to New Delhi in July to begin shopping excursions with her MIL. They decided to explore Chandni Chowk, as Sumedha had found her engagement outfit from the famous Sudheer Bhai store in the same market.

While the hunt for her sagan ensemble was on, the bride and her family decided to begin looking for her wedding lehenga as well on their Delhi trips. First, they paid a visit to Anarkali, another one of those popular stores everyone recommends you visit in Karol Bagh. While Sumedha found some absolutely beautiful lehenga options in that shop, they were way over her budget. Every single lehenga was over INR 1-1.5 lakh.

What next? The family took a quick decision to visit Chandni Chowk. But which store? She had not had any luck at Sudheer Bhai’s this time around. Luckily, her mother had heard about another store – “Ram Kishan Sarees” – from a colleague who had vouched for them and said, “give them my reference, and they will take care of you.”

Off went the whole family to 259, Katra Pyare Lal, Chandni Chowk. What kind of lehenga was Sumedha looking for? A Tarun Tahiliani style outfit, not a Sabyasachi. “I like Sabyasachi lehengas, but I feel they’re overdone.” Such a contrast to what every 2nd bride I meet has to say. They’re usually aware that Sabyasachi lehengas have been done to death, but they don’t care. They’re way too deep in love with that style to even imagine wearing anything else on their wedding day.

Once the family reached Ram Kishan Sarees, Sumedha quickly found a lehenga she loved.

There was only one problem.

She didn’t like the colour combinations – AT ALL!

She wanted to change everything about it – the colours on the lehenga, the blouse, and even the dupatta! It was a cream lehenga and blouse, with multi-coloured borders. But she imagined it looking better with a red skirt, a rusty orange blouse, and completely different borders on the dupatta.

The more she thought about it, the more stressed she felt. “I’m not a designer! I was skeptical to place an order for an outfit I wanted changed in so many ways that I couldn’t even visualize the end result and trust it would be good.” So Sumedha and her family left the shop, wondering if there was something else out there that would match her choice.

Luckily, upon visiting another store in Chandni Chowk, they spotted a lehenga in the same colour combinations Sumedha was trying to customize her lehenga into…

And it looked good!

Funny how things work out sometimes :)

Sumedha rushed back to Ram Kishan Sarees, and placed the order for her wedding lehenga – complete with all her colour customisations. She reduced the number of kalis to 10, to reduce the cost and fit it into her budget. They gave her the second dupatta for free (which they made a mistake with eventually, but it was nothing major – she got the border replaced with a golden one at a place in Mumbai later on.)

On her wedding day, Sumedha looked exactly as she had imagined. And what a sight she made.

wedding lehenga from Chandni Chowk full length front sitting Sumedha wedding wardrobe wedding lehenga artistic shot details 2 Sumedha wedding wardrobe full length front wedding lehenga Sumedha wedding wardrobe dupatta 3 Sumedha wedding wardrobe dupatta 2 Sumedha wedding wardrobe dupatta 1 Sumedha wedding wardrobe blouse front Sumedha wedding wardrobe blouse back Sumedha wedding wardrobe colourful latkans on wedding lehenga Sumedha wedding wardrobe

golden sparkle shoes for wedding Steve Madden

With her husband, Ankur

With her husband, Ankur

Sumedha completed her bridal look with jewellery that perfectly complemented her outfit. I loved every piece of her jewelry, but she was most excited about her maang tikka. “It was the same one my mother wore on her own wedding!”

The rest of Sumedha’s jewelry is artificial (gold-plated silver). Since I’ve heard time and time again about how brides feel the pressure to buy real jewelry for their wedding day, I wondered if Sumedha had also faced any. But it was refreshing to hear that this topic of discussion never came up while she was choosing her accessories. In fact, she didn’t even consider buying real jewelry because she wanted the flexibility that comes with buying artificial – you can pick what ever you want, any stone, any colour, any size! A great idea all you brides-to-be can think about, I say!

jewellery haath phool Sumedha wedding wardrobeWedding lehenga from Ram Kishan Sarees, Chandni Chowk | Time taken to stitch 2.5 months | Price INR 70-80,000
Jewellery from various stores in Mumbai & Delhi | Haath-phool Kundan Kali, Mumbai | Earrings Silver Streak, MumbaiNecklace store in Shahpur Jat | Maang tikka Bride’s mother’s | Heels from Steve Madden
Photographs by Simran Oberoi (PhotozAapki) and Richa KashelkarHair and makeup by Chandni Singh (read my review of Chandni here)
Read more about Sumedha’s wedding and see more pictures on her blog.

Did you also love Sumedha’s lehenga and jewellery, as much as I did?

17 Responses to “Wedding Wardrobe: Sumedha”

1. Shikha April 30, 2014 at 11:58 am #

she looks so pretty and elegant..

2. divya April 30, 2014 at 12:01 pm #

OMG! This is exactly the same design as my wedding lehenga, also from chandni chowk. i did change my dupatta a bit though!

• thedelhibride April 30, 2014 at 12:19 pm #

really?! You must send me a picture of it!

• divya April 30, 2014 at 7:47 pm #

i will definitely. just gimme a day or two..

3. Clothes and Creativity April 30, 2014 at 12:21 pm #

Such a gorgeous lehenga! Love the vibrant colour-combination, heavy but absoluetly beautiful. And the best part is the price- so reasonable! Sumedha looks great. The best part about Chandni Chowk is the hidden gems it has to offer, one just has to be willing to brave the dust and grime, and explore!

4. Nisha Mishra Singh April 30, 2014 at 12:56 pm #

Really liked her lehenga and the fact that she was able to visualize her lehenga and finally got what she wanted. :). She made a pretty bride :)

5. Purnima April 30, 2014 at 10:45 pm #

Shinjini, I am a big fan of yours. My wedding was on 8th Feb and your blog was truly a life saver. I referred to your blog for almost every wedding related accessory :)

I too went to Chandni Chowk to hunt for my wedding lehnga and by chance entered a small shop called Sangam Sarees just opposite Sudheer bhai sarees and I got the exact same lehnga as above :o

Just the blouse is different and I have no pink in the border !!

6. parifantasy May 6, 2014 at 12:12 pm #

oh you know your this post helped me a lot..i really loved her lehenga.we are searching one for my sister and we are not sure where to go.will definitely try the shops you mentioned .anymore references are welcome..

• Aayushi May 21, 2014 at 2:43 pm #

Try Asiana Fabrics showroom in chandni chowk. it is in Katr Hardayal. I got my wedding lehenga from there. And they have so huge variety from 40k to 10lac. And they are not tacky at all. they speak of good quality. You must give them a try

7. weddingplannerindia13 June 1, 2014 at 2:36 pm #

Such a gorgeous lehenga! Love the vibrant colour-combination, heavy but absoluetly beautiful. Very cool site!! Beautiful .. Amazing ..Thanks for sharing.

8. Rachel June 6, 2014 at 2:55 pm #

This lehenga is really awesome. and the bride is looking very much pretty. The design of the lehnga and most importantly the color is gorgeous. Chandni Chawk has a lot to offer in prices that suits your topic. I have been their before my wedding but now I get no time for it.

9. saba July 9, 2014 at 6:50 am #

hi the bride is lovely! i am looking for chikankari anarkali. anyidea where should i look for decent intricate embroidery with gold mukesh.
    love from pakistan

10. bharti thakur July 29, 2014 at 2:22 pm #

hii shinjini
    i took your advise n went to chandni chowk for my lehenga serach .. n you know i found my dream lehenga thr .. want to show you pics n to say THANKS for your guidance ..

11. caira July 30, 2014 at 12:18 pm #

loved ur lehenga…. and make up too…but being a christian i cant change the conventional customs.. but wud really hope to wear such attire on some function….
    Any suggestions for make up.. though i already booked Monsoon Salon n spa but still suggestions are welcome

12. divya gulati August 31, 2014 at 2:15 pm #

Hi gorgeous lehenga. .can u tell where will I get replica of sabyasachi,tarun tahiliani,manish malhotra or anita dongre in chandni chowk..

1. Where to shop for Wedding Lehengas at Chandni Chowk? | thedelhibride Indian Weddings blog - April 30, 2014

[…] Ram Kishan Sarees (we have a bride on the blog who bought her lehenga from there! See pictures here), Pakeeza Plaza and Kamal Bhai. Also check out Mehak’s  post on where to shop at Chandni […]