Brides, I need to make a final decision about my MUA and I am thoroughly confused! There are 2 makeup artists (MUAs) I could potentially go with for the wedding functions, but I don’t know which one to choose. They both have their pros and cons, and I’m sharing the details with you.
Candidate #1 – MAC MUA who did my roka makeup
- Have seen her work on myself (she did my roka makeup) & liked it
- Most people loved what she did to me on the roka – I’ve been complimented with many adjectives my whole life, but “hot” is one I hear only from the fiancé. On roka day, my sisters said she made me look hot! And I always believe my sisters 🙂
- I already know which things I have to tell her to not repeat (she put a red lipstick on me as my roka suit was half red, but that didn’t suit me because it ended up making me look not myself – so no loud or dark lip colours; also, another MAC MUA did the finishing touches by applying highlighter to my cheeks and forehead, but in the pictures it came out looking too shiny/oily – so highlighter is a big no-no!) The rest of it, I loved. She really opened up my eyes, and she kept the foundation very light and minimal (she said I didn’t need much since my skin was mostly clear).
- She’s very reasonable compared to other MUAs – INR 7,000 for makeup on wedding day (excluding hairstyling). This means that sangeet makeup will be even cheaper, and I can afford to pay for a trial as well (although I haven’t asked her about sangeet and trial charges yet)
- I love the makeup she does on herself (always a great way to gauge an MUAs personal sense of style)
- I feel a sense of comfort with her – because of the makeup she does on herself, because she’s done my makeup once before, and also because her middle name is “minimal”!
- Relatively inexperienced, because I think she’s just started out. I’m not sure how many weddings she’s done the makeup for.
- I will either have to arrange for a hairstylist myself, or she said she can get someone along. But I have no idea how good and experienced the hairstylist will be.
- While most people loved my roka makeup, some didn’t like it as much. They said the red lipstick was not a great choice at all and that I looked a shade fairer than I am (which I doubt, but ok maybe I think I am fairer than I actually am!) Honestly though, I don’t care too much about what a few people thought about my makeup, because you obviously can’t make everyone happy. Still, in the interest of full disclosure, I thought I should mention this point (and no, the fiancé was NOT one of the people who didn’t like the makeup)
Candidate #2 – b:blunt MUA who’s also been my hairstylist for last 1 year
- I’m assuming she is way more experienced.
- It’s b:blunt – so I’m sure my hairstyle will look awesome and suitable!
- I spoke to her at length about my schedule, and she’s keen on my keeping plenty of time at hand on both sangeet and wedding days to get ready. I like that, because she wants to do her job in a stress-free environment which I will also appreciate. And she’s willing to go back and forth on the day of and give me exactly what I will like. Basically, I felt a level of comfort with her.
- She will use MAC makeup.
- I have never had my makeup done by her, so no clue how she will be (anyone gotten their bridal makeup from b:blunt?)
- Expensive – INR 14,000 for wedding day, and INR 9,000 for sangeet (includes everything – makeup, draping, hairstyle, nail painting)
- She will do a trial, but it costs INR 4,200! I can think of SO many things to do with this amount – get my sangeet makeup done (by Candidate #1) or buy a Forever New dress, just to name a few!
So…which one do you think I should go for, and why?