Wedding Planning (Mini)Update – How I Found My Reception Outift Part 1

14 Oct

how i found my Indian wedding reception outfit jacket lehenga rakhi & vandana 2

Hello!

I know, I’m getting married in 2 weeks and I seem to be absconding from the blog! But it’s not because I don’t want to post – I have an insane amount to share with you! Those of you who are getting married in a few weeks time will understand – there is just SO much to do! My to-do list will truly not be complete till the day of the wedding. Now I understand – you make a to-do list, but as you keep checking things off, you also keep adding new things! New additions to my list? More sangeet practices (btw, did you hear that Bebo’s sangeet practices are also in the works right now?), pre-wedding shoot planning, last minute honeymoon shopping (yup, I keep coming up with more things I need to buy!), planning a meeting with MUA to discuss my looks for both days…I could go on!

The biggest update I have to give to you right now is – I’m now wearing a jacket lehenga on my Reception!

Remember how I’d gone out and bought a sari with my parents-in-law many months back? Well, my MIL recently started second-guessing the outfit. She told me that she hadn’t seen any brides wearing saris on their Receptions these days, so she wanted something different. Then she started glossing over these Wedding magazines (fyi, stay away from these the closer you get to your wedding – you’ll keep finding new outfits you want to buy!) and found herself wanting me to wear a layered flowy anarkali or new-style-lehenga. She’s way more fashionable than I am, for sure! Unfortunately, the kinds of designs we were looking at were Manish Malhotra and other “hi-fi” designer types, and I was pretty sure that these were not even available at the stores we normally go to. I was also getting super-stressed, because there were barely 3 weeks to the wedding and now we’re considering a whole new look for an important function? Seriously, super-stressful! Anyway, we decided that it can’t be a priority item (although I knew how badly she wanted me to not wear a sari and be a more fashionable bahu :p) but that we’d look around whenever we were out in the market. Last Saturday (yup, exactly 3 weeks before the wedding), I was passing Rakhi & Vandana in South Ex and decided to take a look. My eyes went straight to a beautiful pink lehenga that seemed exactly like the kind of thing my MIL was looking for. It was just so gorgeous!

I asked the salesgirl, “How much is it for?”

Salesgirl:  [insert price that’s 3 times the budget I had in mind]

Me (in my head): Moving on…!

Hmmm…you know what? This story is way longer than I have time to write right now. Need to head out to Lajpat Nagar to buy Choodas! My mother and I are clueless about it – I’m not Punjabi, and have never seen anyone in my family wear it. Any guidelines from Punjabi brides?

I’ll wrap up the Reception outfit story the next time I have time to blog. Which could be………. 🙂 Relax, I’ll be back sooner than you can finish saying “What the ****!”

Edit: As promised, you can now read Part 2 here.

22 Responses to “Wedding Planning (Mini)Update – How I Found My Reception Outift Part 1”

1. Swati Murti October 14, 2012 at 11:31 am #

totally waiting for the reception outfit story 🙂 and, all the best with choodas…try to get the real ivory ones if you get instead of the blingy ones. sorry, that’s all I know about them!!!

• thedelhibride October 14, 2012 at 4:50 pm #

Reception outfit story will be up on the blog tomorrow morning!

2. thevowsandbeyond October 14, 2012 at 4:35 pm #

You’ll look fab in the new outfit!! You’re almost there now!! What chooda style did you pick?

• thedelhibride October 14, 2012 at 4:52 pm #

Just plain red with 2 blingy ones on the sides.

• Bhumika M October 14, 2012 at 8:28 pm #

Same to same! On two accounts-
        1. Simple red with off white. And my mom forced me to add two blingy ones on each hand. Which I will wear only on the wedding. Post that I will take the blingy one’s out. And lil less than half of half a set on each hand. Where did you buy your choodas from?
        2. My MIL is too fashionable! More than me definitely! She at the very outset said that Lehenga only she’s getting made for me for the reception. We have nt decided the style yet! Every time we go out we like a different style! 😉 But might just do a jacket Lehenga! 😉

• thedelhibride October 14, 2012 at 11:03 pm #

I bought my choodas from Lajpat Nagar, some brand called Bentax? And yes, do a jacket lehenga! Looks very reception worthy 🙂

3. strawberrypulp October 14, 2012 at 9:10 pm #

Hey I am also not Punjabi, but marrying one, and so am confused- isn’t the bride NOT supposed to see her choodas till the wedding day and her mom’s brother or cousin supposed to pick that up for her? That’s what I was told- don’t tell me am clinging on to some archaic notion about this affair which nobody follows anymore ?!

• thedelhibride October 15, 2012 at 12:33 am #

Well, I guess some people still follow it. But, I couldn’t have left my mom alone to go buy it (my mamas would’ve been even more clueless!) – mine is a difficult size to find since I have very slim wrists. plus, my MIL didn’t really say anything when I told her I’m going out to look for my chooda, so I didn’t pay attention to this “rule”

• Bhumika M October 15, 2012 at 6:23 am #

@thedelhibrand-Ooie! I just headed to Babu choodiwala and bought whatever he had! He came highly recommended. But cool hai! It just has to make you smile.
      @Strawberrypulp-it seems all us non-punjus has snagged funjabi boys! So traditionally in morth India, it seems, the entire attire for the bride and groom; clothes, shows, jewellery, accessories; the entire works comes from the Nani’s side. So not just the choodas, but the wedding clothes too are picked out by the mama(being Nani’s son). Nowadays nobody really follows this as Parents take care of all this financially. Families that want to keep to tradition just have it presented by the mama and his family. Choodas though, some mamas still go out and buy themselves, read, Mami! 😉 So my MIL too, who by the way explained all this to me, said its cool that I go select my own piece. So the uncle I booked it from said that he’ll give me another piece when I come for actually delivery. So that way that piece I won’t see. But it’s totally upto you. Whatever makes you happy! Being non-punjus, my mom and Mamu were totally clueless and least interested in this. And I knew exactly which ones I wanted! So went and booked! Remember, whatever makes you happy! 😉

• thedelhibride October 15, 2012 at 10:59 am #

My only issue with babu choodiwalla was that he didn’t have my size. That itself would not have mattered, but just how they handled that – they became quite unhelpful! They should’ve just said we don’t have your size at all, please try shops X,Y or Z.

• Bhumika M October 18, 2012 at 9:31 pm #

Woah! He did not have your size?!?!? That is odd! He has a million varieties in a billion sizes! And very odd! When I went, the old uncle was so sweet and helpful! Very strange indeed!

4. poorva October 15, 2012 at 12:05 pm #

oohh all ur conversations r so interesting 🙂
    but i’m nowhere near getting married right now, still in college. but all this seems interesting as even im from delhi n a punjabi so i guess this blog will b helpful some years down the line 🙂
    all the best to you 🙂

5. Mrinalini October 15, 2012 at 1:50 pm #

TDB..best of luck 2 weeks yayyieee!!!

I’m marrying a (half) funjabi too!! and my (full punjabi) MIL told me its all good to get your own choodas as long as the mams makes me wear them so I got the smiplest ones from vaishudevi last yr.. which i thought was a super idea..being blessed and all and they coincidently matched my lehenga to the T..but now..they’re a tiny set that cover my wrist (not the all the way till the elbow types..) PANIC..should i get more? or bling or something???????????????????

• Bhumika M October 18, 2012 at 9:34 pm #

Why are you panicking? It depends on what look you want! Earlier brides would wear just enough to cover their wrists! Only now girls have started wearing blingy ones all the way upto their elbow! Depends on what you want! Worry not! In case you want to add to them, take your current set to CC, Lajpat, KB-any known chooda shop there and mix and match! Most probably they will have the set yoy have in case you want to add more of that itself!

• Mrinalini October 20, 2012 at 4:23 pm #

Thanks a ton..I live in Bombay..but i’m going to take it to one of the chooda shops and get some more add-ons.

6. NZ August 14, 2013 at 12:32 pm #

Hi Girls
    I need to buy Bangle Set for my weeding lehenga.. Please suggest some shop names in Lajpat. Few I have heard till now is is Babu chooriwala , om Sons, Bentex. Have just one day so which one u ppl suggest?
    Also, around how much these sets costs? I m looking for fancy one as I am not Punjabi, so was planning for mix n match types.
    Please suggest some shops

7. Moni March 28, 2015 at 4:45 pm #

Hey,

I am not sure if you are still answering to all the queries but still taking my chances.

We are going wedding shopping for my sister and I have to mention that your blog was the most helpful part of my research for bridal shopping. Your wedding and the reception outfit is just incredible. From ur blog I mostly know about the places to go shopping but it would be rly helpful if you could also mail me the budget we should keep in mind when we go shopping to these places. Basically, how much did both ur wedding nd reception outfit cost you.

Thanks in advance for the you time nd kind help.

1. How I Found My Reception Outfit Part 2 « thedelhibride Indian Weddings blog - October 15, 2012

[…] I told you I’d be back with Part 2 of the Story of my Reception Outfit soon! Part 1 can be read here. […]

2. TDB’s Wedding Wardrobe Breakdown | thedelhibride Indian Weddings blog - May 24, 2013

[…] a store in South Extension. The story of how I managed to find this spans over two posts – part 1 and part 2. You can also see more pictures from the Reception (including the crazy Photo Booth!) if […]

3. How I found my wedding shoes | thedelhibride Indian Weddings blog - July 13, 2013

[…] I Found My Reception Outfit – Part 1 & Part […]

4. Vendor Review: MUA Chandni Singh | thedelhibride Indian Weddings blog - December 11, 2013

[…] The sari is from Roop Sarees, South Ex – and this is what I had originally bought to wear to my Reception! Before the change of plans to go for a lehenga […]

5. Wedding Planning 101: How To Get Your Dream Lehenga in Your Budget | thedelhibride Indian Weddings blog - February 12, 2014

[…] all know the story of how I found my reception lehenga. The original cost a lot more than what we had hoped for, but after some customisation, we reduced […]