Trending: Phulkari

16 Mar

I generally avoid posts on what’s the latest style in wedding outfits because frankly, I’ve never been able to keep up with it and I’m usually pretty clueless about these things. The most I will do is post a few lines on my Facebook page about a new trend in wedding outfits I’ve seen lately, but that’s about it. But there’s always a first time, isn’t there?

I saw this image on the blog The Diary of a Mad Bride, and I *knew* I had to put it up here. It’s a jacket lehenga, where the jacket is full of phulkari work – from the latest collection by Manish Malhotra. In my opinion, when Manish Malhotra does something, suddenly *everyone* is doing it! So here goes, my two cents on what could potentially become a major trend in wedding outfits this year – phulkari!

At my own wedding, I saw phulkari used in outfits the guests wore:

As a dupatta (I LOVE this suit btw!)

As a dupatta (I LOVE this suit btw!)

As a shawl

As a shawl

Brides have been incorporating phulkari into their wedding outfits for smaller functions. Mehak of Peaches & Blush turned a phulkari dupatta into a corset to wear on her Mehendi.

Image Courtesy - Peaches & Blush

Image Courtesy – Peaches & Blush

While Prarthna, another bride, turned it into a red and yellow dress for her Mehendi (see left most image)!

Image Courtesy - WeddingSutra

Image Courtesy – WeddingSutra

Sim, another US-based bride, first sat under a phulkari chaddar during her Haldi ceremony, and once it was done she covered her head with it as a dupatta!

Image Courtesy: Asian Wedding Ideas

Image Courtesy: My Asian Wed

Image Courtesy: My Asian Wed

Image Courtesy: My Asian Wed

People also use phulkari dupattas as the “chaadar” under which a bride makes her entry on wedding day.

Image Courtesy: Marry Me Wedding Planners

Image Courtesy: Marry Me Wedding Planners

I had also considered doing that, as we had a beautiful dupatta at home that had been gifted to us by the mother of a Punjabi bride. But as you can see in the picture, the other side of the cloth is devoid of embroidery and color, so I chose not to use that as the chaadar.

I was introduced to phulkari work only last year, and have fallen in love with it since. It is beautiful, colourful and fits in perfectly with today’s need – people are more inclined towards bright colors, multiple colours on the same outfit, and emboridered work instead of blingy stone work. I suggest you definitely check out Manish Malhotra’s latest collection “Threads of Emotion”, and get some major wedding inspiration!

Would you consider wearing a phulkari work jacket lehenga on one of your wedding functions?

9 Responses to “Trending: Phulkari”

1. thebengalibride March 16, 2013 at 7:51 pm #

I loved that phulkari jacket lehenga … If I had a chance, I would have loved to wear something like that !

2. nidhi March 16, 2013 at 10:06 pm #

Well I have a beautiful black saree with phulkari embriodery and thanks to MM, now that the trend would be in all parts of the country, I can wear it in Bombay 🙂

3. hunarz March 17, 2013 at 8:11 am #

We have wide range of Phulkari,-sarees, kurtis, duppatas.
    Do check us out.

Thanks

4. Mrinalini March 18, 2013 at 12:31 pm #

My mom designed a phulkari jacket over pakistani style pants for one of my trousseau outfits! Its super pretty! and the jacket cut makes one look slimmer

• thedelhibride March 31, 2013 at 11:54 am #

is your mom a fashion designer? Does she live in Delhi? I want one too!!!

• rohini September 24, 2013 at 1:38 pm #

can u plz design it for me

5. Akansha September 23, 2013 at 4:33 pm #

Where can I get this phulkari stuff in Delhi?

• Kajal October 2, 2013 at 8:14 pm #

Hi,
      I have just gone through your query…I have some awesome options in Phulkari apparels and accessories. I am a supplier / exporter / wholesaler and retailer of Phulkari Suits, Kurti, Sarees, Patiala Salwar,Dupatta / Stole / Bagh and phulkari accessories. I am operating from Delhi (Dwarka) and running my business in the name of Navras Fashions. We offer a voguish and exquisite collection perfect for this coming festival / Party / wedding and casual wear.
      Just check us on http://www.facebook.com/Navras.Fashions or contact us at 9818093008

Regards
      Kajal
      Prop. Navras fashions

6. Kapil June 12, 2014 at 1:55 pm #

Great post on the Phulkari heritage of punjab supplemented with great visuals.